Melatonin: Supports Healthy Sleep Patterns
• May help combat occasional sleepiness
• Often used by people with jet lag
What is Melatonin and where does it come from?
Melatonin is the hormone responsible for regulating the body’s biological clock. It is produced by the pineal gland, which is located in the brain. Melatonin helps to regulate sleep. During daylight, the pineal gland in the brain produces the neurotransmitter serotonin, but at night, the pineal gland stops producing serotonin and instead makes melatonin. This melatonin release helps trigger sleep.
Why take Melatonin?
• Occasional sleepiness: The ability to fall asleep and stay asleep may get a boost from melatonin supplementation.
• Sleep problems caused by stress: Frequent nighttime awakenings can occur as a result of stress. In such situations, melatonin may help by encouraging sounder slumber.
• Jet lag: If you're working a night shift or are traveling across time zones, melatonin supplements may help your body to overcome any disorientation and quickly reestablish a normal sleep pattern.
Who needs it and what are the symptoms of deficiency?
It is largely thought that as people age, their bodies produce less melatonin. The production of melatonin varies according to the amount of light you're exposed to; more melatonin is produced at night than during the day, and your body produces more melatonin in a completely dark room than in a dimly lit one.
Stress, illness, and ageing are often the culprits that can speed up this deficiency in Melatonin. Most people report a calm deep sleep; some report more dreams and also a good nights rest.
How much should be taken?
Individual needs vary considerably depending on differences in metabolism. For purposes of sleep, larger doses are not necessarily more effective than smaller doses. (If you feel groggy the next morning, the dose you have taken was too high; if you do not experience a deep restful sleep, your dose may have been too low).
A A A
Serving Size: 1 Capsule
Servings Per Container: 60
Amount Per Serving:
• Melatonin 3mg
Other Ingredients: Microcrystalline cellulose, gelatin, silica, vegetable magnesium stearate.
A A A
Take 1 capsule 30 minutes before bedtime.
Warning: If you are under medical supervision, using any tranquilizers, sedatives, pregnant or lactating, consult a health care professional before using this product. Not intended for individuals with autoimmune conditions or depressive disorders. KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN. Store in a cool, dry place. Do not use this product if the safety seal on the bottle is broken. Not for use by children under 12 years of age. Do not take while operating machinery or driving a vehicle.